Saturday, January 12, 2008

This American Life

So messy and I went to see Ira Glass tonight and I have to say, it was completely engrossing. He walked his way through how the show was made and how it works and why. The most stunning realization of the night is that Ira admits that, even though he thought he had developed a whole new way of telling stories that, in fact, he is simply applying a technique used by preachers in their sermons. A bit of information, a humanizing factor, more information, more human observation, and through some music on it to make is sound more important. He also revealed that if you play music under someone talking and then, suddenly stop the music, the next thing the person says is the most important thing ever said. Underlined with silence. I love it. We did not stick around for the book signing because I cannot fully come to terms with my fandom. What would I say? Would he find it interesting...enough...enough to say, suggest we go grab some drinks and discuss my future on the show as sound engineer or designer? But only behind the scenes. I hate the spotlight.

1 comment:

Ignatius said...

Should have stuck around for the signing as he was nice though I could tell the signing wasn't exactly his favorite thing to do. I am a longtime fan thanks to the missus and even have the how to make a radio show comic. Best part was him asking how me how we came up with Booger as my term of endearment since I asked him to make it to the missus who was home sick. Told him it was a southern thing but I was reminded later that was the first thing that came to Cindy's mind when I asked what term she would prefer besides whatever banality I uttered.

Bonus I was reprimanded not to record video of the QA with my phone by an usher despite the fact I recorded most of the performance without being noticed. Haven't looked at it yet but it was more for the audio so the missus could enjoy.