Sunday, September 7, 2008

Mad Men got it wrong.

So Messy and I are starting in on season one of Mad Men. Right off the bat the 1960's culture, the clothes, the sets, all look great. They have nailed the period in so many ways. But as I continue to watch the office scenes, it hits me. The desks are all wrong. My recent obsession with desks has allowed me a certain expertise on the issue and I can tell you, the desks are wrong. Sure, they are steel, wood grain formica tops, matching. But they are all from the wrong era. The desks they are using were not produced by any manufacturer until after 1970. Steelcase, All-Steel, ArtMetal, Anderson-Hicky...all produced a "tanker" style desk. The most notable quality is the top with the rounded corner, not square:


So, for a show that spends a large amount if time in and around the office, they sure missed the boat on this one very important detail.

1 comment:

the library girl said...

I think the producers were hoping to avert your eyes with all of the breasts, not the desks!